Department: Marketing and Communications
About the Orthodox Union
Founded in 1898, the Orthodox Union, (OU), serves as the voice of American Orthodox Jewry, with over 400 congregations in its synagogue network. As the umbrella organization for American Orthodox Jewry, the OU is at the forefront of advocacy work on both state and federal levels, outreach to Jewish teens and young professionals through NCSY, Israel Free Spirit Birthright, Yachad and OU Press, among many other divisions and programs.
The Assistant Creative Director, in collaboration with the Creative Director and OU Marketing and Communications team, will provide creative direction and input as well as execute design projects that push the boundaries of design and storytelling and are inspired by the creative visions, strategic concepts and written copy of the OU Marketing and Communications team. Projects include, but are not limited to rebranding, logos, print design, web design, pitch documents, event collateral, creative video projects, and direct mail fundraising materials. The ideal candidate for this position is a creative and strategic thinker, an effective communicator, self-motivated, brings expertise and broad experience across various marketing channels (social, digital, print, etc.), and works well under pressure and with tight deadlines.
This position is located in New York City and reports to the Creative Director.
- Working closely with the Creative Director to ensure quality control over all internal and external creative assets, including print, video, social media, and digital.
- Working directly with OU departments to meet their creative needs, including graphic design and copywriting, and serving as a resource in these areas.
- Assisting with the conception and implementation of creative projects, including videos, podcasts, ad campaigns (both print and digital), rebranding, and social media content.
- Helping to vet and oversee outside vendors and internal team members, including graphic designers, copywriters, printers, and videographers.
Prior Experience, Competencies and Skills Required
- 2-5 years of creative/design experience.
- Ability to work well within a team a must.
- Strong multitasking skills and attention to detail a must.
- Experience presenting and directing design. Experience in a design role a plus.
- Knowledge of standard industry tools, new platforms and technologies, and design techniques a plus.
- Comfortable in assisting with team brainstorms, team pitches, and workshops.
- Ability to motivate and inspire internal stakeholders and external vendors.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Knowledge of UX design and digital best practices a plus.
- Knowledge of print best practices and file preparation.
- Knowledge of the latest design, typography, illustration, fashion, culture a plus.
- BA/BS required or comparable experience.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Copywriting knowledge and skills a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written communication as appropriate.
- Knowledge of Hebrew a plus.
Compensation and Benefits Package
The salary range for this position is $70,000-$80,000, commensurate with experience.
- Health insurance
- 403B retirement plan
- Life and disability insurance at no cost to the employee
- Discounted long-term care insurance
- Up to 12 weeks of disability and parental leave for all eligible employees
- Up to 8 weeks of paid parental leave for all eligible employees
- Pre-tax savings program for commute, dependent and healthcare expenses
- 15 vacation days and 10 sick days per year
- Time off for major Jewish and federal holidays
- Early Friday Sabbath closures