Director, Yachad Long Island
LOCATION: Based in the Yachad Long Island office. This position requires travel within New York.
POSITION SUMMARY: The director provides strategic vision, leadership, and managerial oversight based on an understanding of the local special needs community. Specifically, the Director creates community awareness, partnerships, and opportunities, as well as oversees programming, staff training and management, growth, and community relations. This position requires strong collaboration within the larger Yachad New York infrastructure and agency. The Director is responsible for ensuring that the chapter is strategically growing in order to best serve the special needs community and to promote
integration of individuals with disabilities into the Jewish community and the broader society.
- Develop, articulate, and implement ongoing and dynamic strategy and vision for the chapter
- Create a list of major goals that will be used to operationalize their vision in the current year. For each goal, develop specific measurable objectives that that will be used to assess annual impact
- Cultivate relationships with local lay leaders, principals, rabbis, directors, and other community leaders at a local and regional level to drive Yachad’s growth and impact
- Partner with local institutions, schools, synagogues, and youth departments to promote Yachad’s mission of inclusion and integration and lay the foundation for growth and collaboration
- Cultivate relationships and partner with other organizations that serve the special needs community to further Yachad’s mission and best support the special needs community
- Coordinate and collaborate with the wider region, working best to support our families and programming
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive calendar of programming that meets the needs and interests of Yachad members and volunteers.
- Recruit, hire, train, mentor, and coach professional and administrative support staff
- Provide a nurturing work environment in which all staff, volunteers, and Yachad members and peers feel valued, appreciated, and acknowledged for their contributions to the team
- Oversee diligent input of regional data and monitoring/evaluation of the data
- Provide ongoing staff supervision, including annual goal setting and benchmarking, weekly supervision, and regular performance appraisals. Provide feedback to staff on a regular basis. Feedback should be honest, compassionate, constructive, fair, and specific
- Provide opportunities for continuing professional training and development
- Regularly analyze regional programming to ensure evolution and innovation, quality, engagement, and effective results
- Act as summer programs, special events and informal education liaison for the region
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Yachad members, parents, donors, and leadership through various media (e.g. face-to-face meetings, direct mail, e-mail, newsletters, website, etc.)
- Experience in organizational management and staff supervision
- Well versed in Jewish values and beliefs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter; able to work independently
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the field. Advanced degree preferred