New England Yachad/The National Jewish Council for Disabilities has an exciting opportunity for an energetic, independent and highly organized individual to join our staff as the Rhode Island Coordinator. We are a growing regional branch of a well-respected national non-profit that promotes inclusion in the Jewish community. Our goal is to provide social and recreational programs to children, youth and adults with special needs. We have also seek to build strong cohorts of teen and adult volunteers to engage in real relationships with individuals with disabilities by creating social connections and participating in our programs.
The Rhode Island Coordinator will develop and manage social, recreational and Jewish communal activities for children, teens and adults with disabilities and their neurotypical peers. We seek a multi-talented individual familiar with the region: Rhode Island outreach includes Providence, Warwick, Cranston and Pawtucket. The individual will preferably have experience in the Jewish community and will embrace the mission of Yachad. The ideal candidate for this position will have a keen attention to detail, the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a skillful and timely fashion and a deep commitment to the philosophy of inclusion and experience with disability issues. The individual must also demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, keep records of all events and is expected to maintain confidentiality and exhibit discretion and professionalism in all activities. This is a part-time position with flexible hours that routinely requires evening and weekend work, including attending events.
- Outreach to parents and possible Yachad participants, and community agencies.
- Work with local partner organizations, including synagogues and day schools, to host social groups and joint events for children, teens and adults with disabilities and volunteers.
- Regularly meet with key community leaders, parents, clergy, school officials, local stakeholders, RI social service agencies and Yachad members.
- Implement social and recreational programs in ways that ensures safety, fosters friendships and promotes socialization of our members. This includes reaching out to RI teens and college students as peer participants/volunteers and routinely networking with them.
- Coordinate local event/program requirements (space, calendar, food, speakers/guests, etc.) with professional staff, volunteers, and vendors.
- Coordinate teen volunteers for all Rhode Island events.
- Train different populations in sensitivity and awareness.
- Manage program administration, submit reports, receipts and reimbursement forms, participate in monthly staff meetings and maintain records in Yachad’s database.
Qualifications and Skills:
- BA required, MA degree in Jewish education, communal service or special needs is preferred. Social workers or mental health professionals are also encouraged to apply.
- Understanding of Jewish values and practice.
- Preferably candidate has experience with individuals with disabilities and special needs.
- Demonstrated strength in developing relationships with diverse groups and creating interesting, engaging and developmentally appropriate programs.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, attention-to-detail, accuracy, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to manage purchasing of supplies, food and equipment and maintaining invoices, record keeping, tracking receipts and program costs.
- High energy, optimistic, creative and passionate about making a difference in the future of the Jewish community.