The Orthodox Union
Position: Senior Director of Marketing
Department: Marketing and Communications
About the Orthodox Union and NCSY
Founded in 1898, the Orthodox Union, (OU), serves as the voice of American Orthodox Jewry, with over 400 congregations in its synagogue network. As the umbrella organization for American Orthodox Jewry, the OU is at the forefront of advocacy work on both state and federal levels, outreach to Jewish teens and young professionals through NCSY and Birthright Israel/Israel Free Spirit trip organizer, and Yachad, the National Jewish Council for Disabilities, among many other divisions and programs.
NCSY is the premier organization dedicated to connecting, inspiring and empowering Jewish teens and encouraging passionate Judaism through Torah and Tradition. NCSY Connects with Jewish teens through innovative, cutting-edge social and recreational programs to develop a positive Jewish identity. NCSY Inspires Jewish teens and their connection to Israel through informal Jewish education, retreats and summer programs. NCSY Empowers teens through leadership development and guidance to become passionately committed leaders of the Jewish community and instruments for positive change and renewal.
About the Marketing and Communications Department
The OU Marketing and Communications Department is responsible for all external marketing and communications efforts on behalf of the Orthodox Union and its programs. The department serves as a strategic guardian of the brand, a central resource for marketing expertise and execution and is focused on growing the impact and reach of the organization and its programming.
The Senior Director of Marketing will serve as a leading integrated marketer on behalf of the Orthodox Union, and in particular, NCSY. This person will serve as a key strategic partner for the Chief Marketing Officer and NCSY and OU program leaders. S/he will be expected to be a brand steward; an effective communicator who can influence peers; bring deep expertise in at least one key marketing channel (e.g., social, digital, etc.), with broad enough experience to provide thoughtful advice across channels; be intimately familiar with marketing processes; and be rigorously inquisitive.
- Provide overall marketing leadership, represent and champion the OU and program brands while effectively guiding the strategy and execution of marketing campaigns
- Serve as the single point of contact for internal clients and be able to identify their needs and work strategically to provide thoughtful solutions with measurable results
- Independently lead and make decisions that balance the needs of the program/project with internal priorities, expectations and requirements
- Partner collaboratively with Marketing Operations to oversee progress against goals, deliverables, schedules and budgets for a given project
- Develop, own and promote compliance with best practices to ensure consumer satisfaction, protect the organization’s reputation and elevate quality of outputs
- Though playing an integrated role, s/he must be a subject matter expert in at least one key marketing channel: digital experiences, social media, direct marketing, email marketing or paid media and engage across the organization in that capacity
- Become immersed in assigned OU programs by partnering with program leadership, understanding goals, objectives and challenges
- Promote executional excellence across all marketing outputs
- Train and supervise at least one junior department peer
- Reports to Chief Marketing Officer; indirectly reports to relevant OU program leadership
- Location: New York, NY
Prior Experience, Competencies and Skills Required
- Eight (8)+ years’ experience in an advertising agency client service role or similar in-house marketing leadership role
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Have an innate understanding of service, with the abilities of communication, advocacy and persuasion essential to ensuring satisfaction across teams
- Proficient in setting and managing expectations, vertically as well as horizontally
- Ability to see the big picture with sufficient detail-orientation to bring ideas to fruition
- A leader who can instill confidence, wield influence and foster collaboration
- Excellent writing and presentation skills necessary for achieving the desired outcomes when influencing a group of non-marketing peers/clients
- Proficient in fundamental software such as MS Office and collaboration tools; proficient in software necessary for channel-specific success (e.g., Google Analytics, CMS platforms. email service provider platforms, etc.)