Yachad New England, a regional division of Yachad/The National Jewish Council for Disabilities has an exciting opportunity for energetic, independent, and highly organized individuals to join our staff. We are a growing regional branch of a well-respected national non-profit that promotes inclusion in the Jewish community. Our goal is to provide inclusive social and recreational programs to children, youth, and adults with special needs, providing fun and friends. These are part-time positions and require some travel and work in the evenings and some Sundays.
Program Staff work directly with individuals with mild to moderate developmental and intellectual disabilities, assisting and supporting them to engage in social recreational programs successfully, safely and happily. The Program Staff assists participants to develop social skills and to build relationships with peers, volunteers, professional teachers, advisors and staff. The Program Staff works as a team with fellow staff members, program coordinators, interns and volunteers in assisting in program development and implementation. Program staff work on a variety of programs, both in person and virtually including weekly series, Sunday and special event programs, or community wide events.
- Program staff will be assigned a portfolio of weekly program series and special events to work on as part of the staff team.
- Program staff participate fully in all activities during the program time to support its implementation and as a role model for Yachad members/ participants.
- Maintain regular contact with clients during program time noting challenges, setting small goals, highlighting/encouraging strengths, tracking participant activity preferences, etc.
- Assist clients to achieve goals by developing a knowledge of their learning styles, strengths and needs and ensure that skills are taught accordingly.
- Instruct, counsel and supervise Yachad members in: attitude, personal care, self-advocacy, behavior management, personal development, social skills, and communication and other skills, sometimes 1:1.
- Facilitate appropriate relationships between participants/volunteers and between participants with other participants.
- Coordinate transportation during and after program time, as assigned.
- Ensure that best practice in Health and Safety policies and procedures are implemented: be familiar with evacuation routes, ensure safe and efficient evacuations during drills and actual emergencies, report unsafe situations.
- Communicate regularly with the Program Coordinator about observations, concerns, successes, ideas for improvement, program supply needs.
- Communicate safety concerns/protocols.
- Communicate participant needs including food allergies, clinical support needed, current events in participants’ life.
- Ensure all snacks and food supplied by Yachad is Kosher.
- Take pictures of program activities, as assigned.
- Accompany participants on community trips outside of the Yachad Community Center, as assigned. Practice safe community skills and supervision.
- Display proper dress which is modest attire, skin covering and loose fitting.
- Display proper language, attitude and character skills.
- Be open to instructions and feedback about job performance from the Program Coordinator.
- Attend required staff meetings and trainings, including weekly program team meetings and individual supervision meetings.
- Represent Yachad New England positively to the community, at all times.
- Participate in regional programs and activities throughout the year including; holiday celebrations, fundraising events, and the Yachad New England Gala.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor degree related field and experience working with individuals with disabilities, or High School Diploma or Equivalency with four or more years working with people with disabilities.
- Ability to pass CPR, Basic First Aid and other trainings.
- Ability to be flexible in schedule
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Competence in computer skills and Microsoft Office applications, and ability to learn additional OU based online resources.
- Knowledge and comfort with zoom and other online platforms